JOHNSTON COMMUNITY SCHOOL’S MUSIC DEPARTMENT IS GRANTED $10,000 FROM QWEST FOUNDATION
QWEST GRANT DETAILS
- The CenturyLink Foundation and the Iowa School Boards Foundation today announced that Johnston Community School’s was granted $10,000 from the CenturyLink Teachers and Technology grant program.
- The music department plans to use the money to purchase innovative music tools that become standards for working musicians in creating music compositions. The project requires the purchase of software called Finale that allows students to play compositions and then edit their scores on a computer.
- The purpose of the CenturyLink Teachers and Technology grant program is to recognize and reward public school teachers who use innovative technology in the classroom to improve the educational experience for students.
- “This is the second year that CenturyLink has initiated this very important program, and we are so pleased to reward teachers around our state for their innovative ideas,” said Max Phillips, CenturyLink Iowa president. “CenturyLink is proud of the Johnston Community School’s Music Department for coming up with this idea, and I thank them for their important work.”
- “The Innovative Music Tools project will enhance students’ abilities to problem solve and increase our ability as teachers to monitor student learning,” said Patrick Kearney, Director of Bands. “It will also take our collaboration with our colleagues and other music professionals to a new level as this technology is becoming standard in our field”
- “This proposal is grounded in research that shows that music education can positively impact student learning. It merges modern technology with music education in an innovative ay that will surely impact Johnston students,” said Mary Delagardelle, executive director of the Iowa School Boards Foundation.
About the CenturyLink Foundation
CenturyLink offers a powerful combination of award-winning broadband, video and voice solutions for residential customers, businesses and government agencies. Customers coast to coast turn to Qwest's industry-leading national fiber optic network to meet their evolving communications and entertainment needs. CenturyLink employees are the driving force behind the company’s nationally recognized Spirit of Service. CenturyLink is a participant in Networx, the largest communications services contract in the world, to provide innovative voice, data and video services. For more information on CenturyLink please visit www.qwest.com. For information about the products and services CenturyLink is offering in the Networx contract, visit www.gsanetworx.com
About Iowa School Boards Foundation
The Iowa School Boards Foundation is the research affiliate of the Iowa Association of School Boards. ISBF's mission is to foster excellence and equity in public education by providing objective, reliable information and research to school boards and other education policy makers.
- Media Contact
- Kara Neuverth
- CenturyLink Communications
- Iowa School Boards Foundation
- Jennifer Huffman, Iowa Association of School Boards